I found this idea of Power and dialect very interesting. I always viewed my speech patterns as appropriate until I interacted with individuals outside the state of Idaho. It was interesting to have someone tell me I spoke like a "spud." Exactly how does a spud speak? I was unsure of exactly what the person was trying to say and chalked it up to the quirkiness of that individual. Sadly, having someone tell me I speak like a spud ended up not being an isolated incident. I would ask them to clarify exactly what a spud says and what exactly spud speech is was met with a derision and the comment that I simply wouldn't understand.

I began to tell people I was from California (where I served my mission) and didn't hear one more comment about talking like a spud. I had joined the larger community of power speakers. I eventually stopped telling people I was from California and resorted back to my plain simple speech of spudness.

1 comments:

Alison said...

I know what you mean. I became self-conscious about Utah-isms once I went to college that I had never thought about before (moun'in, you guys, etc.) I had always thought that I didn't have any kind of accent but then I found out that not everyone agreed with me! But I am okay with it.